What Will Students Learn?
- Microsoft Excel 2013 Core Essentials
- This one-level course covers all the essentials of Microsoft Excel 2013. Topics covered include the new Flash Fill feature, using formulas and functions, inserting PivotTables and PivotCharts, and customizing the interface. Material is also included on how to format text, data, and workbooks; insert art and objects; and chart data.
What Topics are Covered?
- The Basics
- This module begins by covering how to sign into an account. Also covered are the parts of a workbook along with how to create, open, and save workbooks.
- Your First Workbook
- Next up is how to enter, select, and delete data. How to undo and redo is also covered, along with using cut, copy, and paste functions.
- Working with Data
- This module covers inserting rows and columns along with how to merge and split cells. Additional topics include using Paste Special, find and replace, and hiding and unhiding cells.
- Using Basic Excel Tools
- Cell references and formulas are covered in this module. Also discussed is how to use basic formulas, how to learn basic and advanced functions, and how to run spell check. How to use the sort and filter tools to organize data is also covered.
- Using Timesaving Tools
- Timesaving is the focus of this module. Students will learn how to use AutoFill, Flash Fill, AutoSum, AutoComplete, and AutoCalculate.
- Formatting Text
- Various ways to format and work with text are the main points of this module. Ways to change font face, size, and color, apply text effects, and add borders and fill to cells are all covered. Other topics include using the Font tab of the Format Cells dialog and how to clear formatting from text.
- Formatting Data
- There are many ways to format data in Excel 2013. This module looks at how to adjust text wrapping, changing the size of rows and columns, adjusting cell alignment, changing text direction, and applying number formatting.
- Formatting the Workbook
- This module will teach how to use cell styles, format data as a table, and change the theme of a workbook. Also covered is inserting page breaks and adding a background image.
- Inserting Art and Objects
- Inserting SmartArt, text boxes, and equations into worksheets is covered in this module. Also touched upon is how to draw shapes on worksheets.
- Charting Data
- Various methods to chart data in Excel 2013 are covered in this module. Topics include how to create Sparklines and timelines, plus how to insert PivotTables and PivotCharts, and use Slicers.
- Viewing, Printing, and Sharing Your Workbook
- Ways to view and distribute a workbook are covered in this module. Topics include using views, saving a workbook as PDF or XPS, printing and e-mailing a workbook, and sharing a workbook on SkyDrive.
- Customizing the Interface
- The final module of this course focuses on ways to customize the interface. Topics for discussion include how to change ribbon display options and how to customize the Quick Access toolbar. Also covered is how to hide and show ribbon tabs and create custom ribbon tabs. How to reset the interface is covered as well.